Thursday

Thoughts for Thursday - About Me

So who is this person constantly posting all this stuff? If you don't know me, here are some of my thoughts of who I am and how I got here :)

I am a 30 something wife to one, mom to 3 and GRANDmom to 1.

My children are now 9, 14 and 18. (Wow! That really makes me feel old!)

I was married (the first time around) in 1994 (at the too young age of 20)and was blessed to be a stay at home mom and raise my children full time while they were babies. I feel very fortunate that I had those early years - from 1995 through 2008 without the added stress of having to work, put them in daycares, etc. Of course, being home 24/7 comes with it's own added stresses and I remember the times when it got overwhelming...no adult conversations, (seemingly) unrewarded efforts, day in and day out of laundry, meal planning, diaper changing and household cleaning!

I learned to make my own "getaway" at home. I took that time to become an avid flower gardener and landscaper. The minute they went down for a nap, I was in the yard! I practiced and played with home decor, faux painting and anything and everything that had to do with making "home" a better place to be! I became a queen of "trash to treasure", literally! I was always hunting for things to give new life to and beautify my surroundings(without much $) After all, it was my world !

One of the things I am most grateful for is having learned how to live on one income, just as happily as most people live on two incomes! From coupons and deals to yard sales, flea markets and thrift shops, I learned not only how to SAVE money, but how to MAKE money. I "recycled" all the kids clothes in consigment stores where I used that money to purchase what else they needed. Since consignment means giving up at least 50% of the sale amount, I eventually taught myself how to sell on ebay. Once that happened, it was all over! No longer was I just "recycling" our own household items, I was on a mad hunt for more things I could make some extra $ with ! My love for that lead me to rent a monthly booth at a local flea market and on and on and on....

Without spilling my entire life on the internet, let me just say that I went through a divorce in 2005. Thankfully, having not worked a "real job" for 12 years, I was able to "make it" for another 3 years providing for myself and my 3 children. In 2008, I decided to get a part time job, to help pay the bills and honestly, to get me out of the house. My children were now at the age where not only did they not need me holding their hand anymore, they really didn't want me to either! (That's another blog post...we'll dive into that some other time!)

And now it's 2010 !!! Where does the time go? My little part time job, turned into a full time Management position. Somehow, everything I ever do I'm either ALL or NOTHING ! I guess that's a good thing, but it is honestly never intended! It just kind of works out that way. I also did something I never imagined I would do again...I got married in 2009! I have the most understanding, sincere, honest and open-hearted husband. He is the real deal, and I am grateful that our paths crossed and changed both of our lives forever.

Ok, back to 2010 !!

I recently posted about a huge disappointment with a promotion I had been promised for 3 monthes that fell through....and that has vividly reminded me of the major downsides to being someone else's employee.

Just in time for the new year, I've taken that disappointment as another nudge to reallign my priorities and remember that for me, it has ALWAYS been the Quality of life that I loved and NOT the Quantity of it. The stress of working full time, juggling 3 kids, laundry, housework and all that being a mom involves (no matter how old they get!) And to reinforce that even more, I just found out that I have to have some minor surgery within the next 2 weeks. Nothing major, but it will require at least a month of being at home to recoop and I will not be able to work for at least a month. Now if all these things coinciding at once is not a loud and clear signal to me, then I wouldn't know one if it hit me in the forehead!

So, here's to my blog....to spending more time at home doing what I love and what keeps me stress-free. Being able to be there when my kids get out of school.... Being able to eat lunch with them at school whenever they ask...picking them up instead of making them ride the bus, having a clean house, catching up on laundry, taking a nap when I want, spending the entire day in my robe-just because I can! And many more "little" things that keep peace in my life.

As spoken by Sandra Bullock in "Hope Floats"....

"Beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad...it's the middle that counts the most..."



My beautiful children & Grandbaby


Then:







And NOW ! ( +1 !)




WendyLittle_FrugalFabulousFinds

Share

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story! I really wish I had the talent to create that you do. Any advice for developing it???


    *from SITS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just married - congrats! :)

    I have a question: you're going to have time for yourself why do you want to pick your kids up 'instead of making them ride the bus'? Why don't you enjoy the time what you have, just for yourself? That's good for you and when you feel good you feel better when kids arrive...

    You seem to have a quite a list to stress yourself... :)
    We women should be more selfish and take our own time...It's not going to be the end of the world if take a little bit easier... :)
    Or what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marfmom...thanks for visiting :) As for developing talent, I feel that it started with the need and then turned into a passion and way of life...it was so unintentional ! The biggest tip I have for that is to learn everything you can about whatever your passion is. I read books, web searches, soak up all the info I can and then it's just trial and error! If you are passionate about something, it will fall into place ! I'm not sure how helpful this is, but I do post often with tips about my outlets ( ebay, flea market, etc.) so check back! Thanks again for the visit and post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BLOGitse, Thanks for the visit! I've been visiting you too:) You're probably right, I tend to measure myself up with the perfection stick too often. My boys absolutely HATE riding the bus and they are very good at talking me into picking them up. I always know that if they ride the bus I have an extra hour to myself, but I find it so hard to tell them no on some things, like this one. I am however very quickly learning to say no to some requests because I've realized that I just can't do it all and rather than say yes and completely stress myself, it's better for everyone if I say no from the start! Only us moms understand that one :) And then you have the guilt trips your kids put you on as they get older! (that is a whole other blog!)
    Thanks for the visit and post! I am definately trying to be more "selfish" these days without the guilt !

    ReplyDelete